Are you up for a home decorating challenge? Taubmans is challenging you to get off your butt and pick up a paint brush! There are $150K worth of prizes to be won so it’s worth a weekend of paint splatters I’d say! Everyone has that one room in their house that could do with a lick of paint. I’m taking part with a client/friend of mine who’s having a baby in September and we’re decorating the nursery together, we’ve picked a stunning deep blue called Open Seas from Taubmans for the walls, it’s going to be a bold statement but a seriously cool result (well in my head it looks like that for now anyway…) Stay tuned for updates on the project, I’ll be sharing the whole journey via Instagram and the blog. We’re yet to add any feature colours to the room in terms of soft furnishings etc so your suggestions are welcome, below are the paint colours.
I asked Taubmans Ambassador and judge from The Block Shaynna Blaze for her top tips for painting the nursery I’m styling:
- Should you make a feature of picture rails in a small dark room? – Featuring a picture rail is like putting a text line around the room and highlighting its presence. In a small room this isn’t what you want – instead paint the picture rail and the wall above in half a shade strength to the wall so it becomes a feature but not bringing attention to the size of the room.
- Is it wrong to play up the drama of a room by selecting a dark moody blue when decorating a nursery? A dramatic colour like dark blue is actually like nightfall in a bedroom and could be quite soothing for a nursery. the key is not filling it with heavy contrast of reds and pops of colour; keep the palette simple with crisp whites, natural timbers and few colours like soft greens to tie it all together for a sophisticated nursery palette.
- If the walls are dark blue, what colour should you paint on the ceiling? – I would always recommend a Crisp White so it bounces light back into the room rather than a tinted neutral, which could absorb light.
If you’d like to take the challenge here’s what you need to do:
1. Take a photo of the room
2. Paint the room with Taubmans Endure paint
3. Submit before and after photos here
Do you have any tips to add for painting a nursery? Have you had any experience painting a nursery? We’d love to hear your tips!